818 Fitness, the on-campus student fitness facility, is located on the first floor of the CORE Apartment residences on the south end of campus. It is a fully functioning fitness center available at no cost exclusively for students of the School of Medicine, with cardio and weight equipment and a group exercise room.
Hours of Operation: 7 days per week, 5:00 am – 11:30 pm
- The 818 Fitness Center is open 24 hours to all Residents of the 718 & 818 Core Apartment Residences and all students of degree granting programs at Washington University School of Medicine. No Guests Allowed.
- Fitness Center Patrons should have their IDs with them for gaining access into the Fitness Center and just in case they are asked to present their ID to a Staff Member.
- Proper athletic attire must be worn while participating in activity areas. Shirts, shoes, and pants/shorts are required. Sport bras are not considered a shirt.
- Closed-toed athletic shoes are required at all times.
- Disinfect and wipe down all equipment thoroughly after use.
- Re-rack all plates, dumbbells and other equipment when you are finished using it. Do not leave loose plates or dumbbells on the floor. Unused equipment should always be properly racked. Fitness center equipment is to be used only in the fitness center and should be returned to the storage rack when you are finished working out.
- Use lock collars on all load bearing barbell exercises.
- Do not drop weights on the floor.
- Please use the Olympic Platform for deadlift exercises and use the pads on the platform at all times.
- Only bumper plates are permitted on the Olympic Platform.
- When performing overhead lifts on the Olympic Platform, control the bar and maintain contact with it whenever possible.
- Powdered chalk is prohibited. Liquid Chalk can be used.
- Spitting on the floor or in the drinking fountains is prohibited.
- Backpacks and other personal items are not permitted in activity areas. Store all belongings in the temporary lockers in the locker rooms or storage cubbies in Fitness Center. The 818 Fitness Center is not responsible for any lost or stolen belongings.
- Personal locks are allowed to be used on the locker room lockers while you are using the Fitness Center. Once finished at the Fitness Center, personal locks and belongings should be removed from the temporary lockers. If not removed, after one week the lock will be cut and the belongings will be disposed of.
- Glass bottles and open containers are prohibited in the facility. Only plastic bottles and beverage containers with spill-proof lids are permitted.
- Water is the only beverage permitted. Other beverages such as sports drinks, protein shakes, smoothies, and pre- or post-workout drinks are not permitted.
- Food of any kind is not permitted in activity areas.
- Report equipment damage or any facility-related injuries to a facility host.
- Personal training and private lessons are not permitted in the facility unless properly arranged through the 818 Fitness Center.
- Alcohol and use of tobacco products is prohibited in the facility.
- Photography and filming are not permitted in the facility without approval from Medical Public Affairs and the 818 Fitness Center Administrative Staff.
- 818 staff members have the final say in policy interpretation and enforcement. Failure to comply with any of these policies may result in temporary or permanent loss of fitness center privileges.
- Lift at your own risk- Washington University School of Medicine is not responsible for any injuries.
- No children under 18 permitted.
- No horseplay allowed.
- Patrons of the Fitness Center are responsible for knowing their own physical limitations.
- No loud music or noises permitted. Use headphones.
- Use equipment only for its intended purpose.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Education & Campus Support Services at email@example.com.
- For emergency assistance or facility issues with the Fitness Center afterhours or on weekends, please contact Washington University Protective Services at 314-362-4357.
The 818 Fitness Advisory Committee exists to provide a safe and enjoyable environment, providing users the opportunity to make recommendations regarding policies and procedures for the 818 Fitness Center. The Advisory Committee is intended to be a resource for the WUSM community and to serve as a voice for fitness center users to express ideas and concerns involving 818 Fitness facilities and operations.
The committee strives to assure its members are diverse both in their academic program and how they use the fitness center area, to ensure that a broad mix of programs, services and equipment are available to promote health and fitness at the 818 Core Apartments.
Membership on the Advisory Committee is a one academic year term which runs from August – July. If you are interested in applying to be an Advisory Committee member please submit an application through the link below.
RULES REGARDING PARTIES AT 818 COMMONS
- ALL PARTIES OR GATHERINGS OF MORE THAN 20 PEOPLE MUST BE APPROVED BY EDUCATION & CAMPUS SUPPORT SERVICES (ECSS). A RESERVATION INFORMATION FORM NEEDS TO BE FILLED OUT AT LEAST 48 HOURS PRIOR TO THE EVENT. IF YOU WILL BE SERVING ALCOHOL AT YOUR EVENT, THE FORM AND ANY ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION NEEDS TO BE FILLED OUT AND RETURNED 2 WEEKS PRIOR TO YOUR EVENT.
- THE 818 COMMONS MAY BE USED ONLY BY RESIDENTS OF THE CORE @718 & 818 AND STUDENTS IN ALL PROGRAMS AT THE SCHOOL OF MEDICINE.
- PARTIES IN ANY AREA MUST BE OVER BY MIDNIGHT SO AS NOT TO DISTURB OTHER RESIDENTS AND GUESTS.
- IF ANY RESIDENTS COME TO THE FRONT DESK AND COMPLAIN ABOUT NOISE, THE SECURITY OFFICER WILL ASK THAT THE MUSIC/NOISE LEVEL BE LOWERED. IF THE PROBLEM PERSISTS, THE PARTY WILL BE OVER AT THAT TIME.
- THE PERSON/PERSONS GIVING THE PARTY ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR CLEAN UP AND TAKING OUT THE TRASH TO THE DUMPSTER ON THE DOCK. WE HAVE CLEANING SUPPLIES AVAILABLE AT THE FRONT DESK. WE ALSO HAVE ADDITIONAL TRASH CANS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST. THE AREA SHOULD BE LEFT IN THE SAME CONDITION AS IT WAS ORIGINALLY FOUND. IF NOT, CLEANING/DAMAGE CHARGES MAY APPLY.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING PARTY POLICIES, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ECSS STAFF AT 314-747-6338.
Fitness Center Staff
Danina Puleo | Fitness Center Coordinator
314-273-2570 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Kurt Deschler | Facilities Building Coordinator – Fitness Center